Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Painting My Pain - Chronic Pain Awareness Week

Chronic pain, as the word implies, is a constant, never-ending experience. November marks the beginning of chronic pain awareness week and InvincibleWeAre is proud to hop on the awareness train to spread chronic pain awareness, resources, and stories to you all. 

What is pain? It is an unpleasant sensory and emotional experience associated with potential tissue damage. We all feel pain, it is a protective mechanism. The pain experience depends on an individuals situation. 

Chronic pain is not related to tissue damage. It's like a car alarm going off without a definitive reason. Similar to a car alarm, chronic pain can be distressing! it occurs when a sensitized nervous system sends pain signals, even though all the blood work and imaging is normal.

What is this connection between the brain and pain? Neuroplasticity is the ability of the brain to recognize and rewire. This allows us to master skills, for example learning to play a sport or piano. Repeated practice allows the brain to rewire itself. However, a super sensitive nervous system repetitively sends pain signals to the brain. This continuous repetition creates a pathway for pain signals to reach the brain with more ease. This is known as maladaptive neuroplastic change. LIke a bad habit, this maladaptive change can be addressed. 

Why is chronic pain important to learn about? Many, Many, Many people around the world struggle with chronic pain, and most of them silently. 

  • 8 Million people in Canada live with chronic pain
  • 1 in 5 Children struggle from chronic pain leading to missed school and activities
Chronic pain is disproportionately represented in people with lower socioeconomic status, those living with mental health conditions, those working in trades or veterans who have experienced trauma, people with disabilities, and women. 

Chronic pain is a real and ongoing battle. It may not seem like a tangible concept to some, but knowing that it exists and can be distressing is an important step to understanding the millions of people around us to struggle with chronic pain on a daily basis. 


Painting by Pain by RA

"A crushing weight of loneliness sits on my shoulder, I long to share my pain, but words go amiss.

I decide to paint my pain

I find the fiercest of red to paint the center of the canvas, with uncontrolled strokes, the center of the canvas begins to radiate the burning sensation that consumes me.

I am drawn to the brightest and most blinding silver, without a second thought linear strokes are made harshly and randomly to the canvas. I can sense the shooting pains that can make a grown person wince.

With a dash of purple to the edges of the canvas, the bruising and numbness caused by my pain are displayed. 

To complete the painting, a splash of black is added for the agonizing loneliness my pain has caused.

Today I painted my pain.

I found myself avoiding yellow, blue, green. All the colors of joy and a possible beautiful day in the meadow scenery. 

Today I painted my pain. 

I felt a great relief"


Helpful resources:
                                                                                   
                                                                                ~InvincibleWeAre, D&R

No comments:

Post a Comment

Schmidt Syndrome: An Uphill Battle Against Myself

I was maybe 18 years old when my mom passed away. She would often complain of being tired and say she is tanning by sitting indoors. This wa...